Wednesday, 21 October 2020

Entrance Slip on Pedagogical Sensitivity and Teachers Practical knowing in Action by Van Manen


Source: https://www.psd.gov.sg/challenge/ideas/work-better/speak-your-mind-tactfully-and-authentically 
  •  “Good teachers are intuitively aware that the daily activities of teaching and learning are conditioned by such subtle factors as the atmosphere of the school and classroom, by the relational qualities that pertain amongst students and teachers, and by the corporeal skills or embodied knowledge that teacher enact.” (Page 5) 

I agree with this quote that school and classroom environment plays an essential role in learning. I think a good teacher should able to provide a safe and inclusive atmosphere in the classroom by encouraging collaborative learning and incorporating embodied knowledge. To create an inclusive environment, a teacher should need to provide a connection between curriculum and the real world and to make students comfortable and secure; a teacher must respect the uniqueness in student’s learning styles and treat each student reasonably not equally. 

  • “Reflective educators tend to be pedagogically sensitive to their students and to what and how they teach. Therefore, the idea of an unreflective type of pedagogy or teaching would really be a contradiction in terms. Reflective thinking is important not only as a tool for teaching, but also as an aim of education.” (Page 6)

This quote reminds me of the Grant and Zeichner article on reflective teacher where they explained that teachers should be open-minded, responsible, and wholehearted. I think the teacher should able to acknowledge the truth that the teacher is the learners as well who can improve their performance by examining their practices. Reflecting the lessons will help teachers to alter their strategies to engage all the students in the classroom.  

  •  “tact occupies the place that theory leaves vacant.” (Page 16)

This quote made me think that incorporating tactful teaching into the classrooms will help students to build strong relations with teachers. I believe that every student can reach their potential if they are providing with fun activities and a curriculum tied to everyday life. Students will feel more connected and engaged. Sometimes changing strategies such as incorporating hands-on learning will help students to get connected.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...