Wednesday, 11 November 2020

Entrance Slip on Permitting Creativity in Science

 


 Source: http://web.uvic.ca/psyc/bavelas/

I found the article, "Permitting Creativity in Science" by Janet Beavin Bavelas, related to my journey and two-week practicum. The quote, “Anyone who has been attracted to a field probably began noticing and thinking about it long before graduate or even undergraduate training” (page 309), took me to the time when I was in the last years of high school in India. At that time, I started helping the kids who are struggling in mathematics, and I found my interest and passion for teaching mathematics and that passion takes me at this point in my life.

           Other quotes, “The reshuffling of ideas already in the field must, by definition, be limited to whatever such recombination can achieve, and the result can be at best a new permutation of old ideas” (page 309) and “If those fail, then another pair of techniques will succeed for sure” (page 312), remind me my two-week practicum experience. During my practicum, I planned to do a scavenger hunt and station activity with grade 10 math class, but when I discussed my plan with my school advisor, she told me that due to Covid, students could not move around in the classroom. Instead, drop the idea of the scavenger hunt, I altered the activity in corresponds to the situation. I used a big poster on the wall rather than the stations so that students can work on their desks. 

           Finally quote, “Our problems are caused by our efforts to deal with the problem” (page 316), resonates with my personal experience. Sometimes, when we leave to do things in a rush or hurry, then there are more chances of making mistakes. I remembered a day when we are going on vacation; I forgot my passport at home in a hurry due to last-minute packing.

 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Amrit! Good connections with your practicum experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...