I am grateful that this course provides me with the
valuable information that will help me to polish my personality as an educator
and a learner as well as. My biggest takeaways from this course are that as an
educator, it will be my duty to motivate and encourage my students on their
path of learning by acknowledging their prior knowledge and culture. It will be
my responsibility to enhance my understanding of the subject that I will be
teaching to students.
While working on my
inquiry project on Indigenous perspectives in math classrooms, I learn the ways
by which I can incorporate Indigenous education in my classroom. I understand
that it is my responsibility to spread this awareness among my students and to
do so, I can make sure that I Indigenize my lessons organically and
authentically. During my short practicum and school visits, I had a
conversation with my SA about incorporating indigenous education in the
classrooms. She pointed towards the "First Peoples Principles of
Learning" poster in her math classroom. She asked me to pay attention to
one of these principles, i.e., "Learning involves generational roles and
responsibility." She suggested that one way to Indigenize lessons is by
making ancestral connections to the topic. For example, she proposed to connect
surface areas and volumes to the length/height of the canoe, the totem poles,
and tree huts or to connect the money conversion methods from old times to now.
In the end, I am so
excited to use that knowledge into my extended practicum. I am looking to meet
Susan and my classmates after a while and curious to work further on my inquiry
project.
!!!!! Thank You and Happy Holidays !!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment