Sunday, 25 July 2021

Mathematics for Human Flourishing

  

1. Can you describe two places in the chapter that made you stop and think?

While reading the article, the quotes “Yet society has not taken seriously its obligation to provide a vibrant mathematical education for everyone” and “We are not educating ourselves as well as we should, and like most injustices, this especially harms the most vulnerable” made me think and connects with my experience of learning math during my high school years and teaching math during my practicum. I learned math through the traditional approach, including notes and worksheets using paper and pen/pencil. During my volunteer experience before starting the B.Ed., all teachers were following the same path. But during my practicum, I used the inquiry approach to teach math. I incorporated hands-on activities and projects, which helped students to think critically and motivate them to push their boundaries. Now, I can see the difference between using the traditional approach and the inquiry-based approach. Students do not feel obligated to learn math, but they like to know. I was very comfortable using the traditional method, but I also pushed my boundaries to learn and use an inquiry-based approach to teach students. I realized that no one is perfect in their career; there are so many things that you can learn and adapt to in your career while working and practising. 

2. What does the phrase “Every being silently cries out to be read differently” (p.2) mean to you in the context of teaching? Does this phrase connect to your own experiences of learning/ teaching?

I relate this phrase with the uniqueness and diversity among students. I think that each student has a unique ability to understand and learn the math concept. As an educator, it is my responsibility to provide the resources that are helpful for every student. Teachers should use different forms and ways of explaining the concept of math and assessing the students as well. If a student does not respond in front of the whole class, it does not mean that they do not understand. The student might not feel comfortable in front of the class. During my practicum, I used games, hands-on activities, projects, classroom discussions, homework etc., to assess students understanding. 

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that you are able to use both traditional and inquiry oriented methods for teaching mathematics! I believe that we cannot always 'see' or 'hear' everyone, but that even just recognizing this keeps teachers open-minded and always learning!

    ReplyDelete

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...