Wednesday, 14 October 2020

Entrance Slip-on Marks, grades and their effects in schooling


 


While reading, I noticed that an article pointed out the stress and pressure of grades and percentages on students. Due to the current education system, letter grades or percentages are essential for high-level classes such as grade 11 and 12 to enrol into the universities. Sometimes, getting grades will help students to self assess during the course and will motivate students to do better in future. For example, if a student did not get a good percentage in one test or assignment, then he/ she will work hard to get good grades. But on the other side, even though a student improved his/her marks at the end of the course but the overall marks will be affected negatively.

           I think that students are more focused on letter grades rather than the learning due to high expectations from the family. Grades increase stress and pressure in the minds of students to compete with other students, and they do cheat to get good grades in the exams or tests. Another side effect of grading is that students don’t learn the concept, whereas they are more focused on memorizing the material for tests and exams.

           I haven’t experienced any math class without grades, but I think that a teacher should not rely on only grades. Still, he/she should consider other methods of assessment as well, such as project-based learning, presentations, hands-on activities and conversation with students for the formative evaluation. A teacher should consider the quality of work by the students rather than the quantity of work for assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...