Wednesday, 30 September 2020

Entrance slip on Mathematics for Life: Sustainable mathematics education

 I always learnt that humans are the responsible for vanishing the resources but Renert in his article “Mathematics for life: Sustainable mathematics education” pointed out that not only humans, the animals also responsible for vanishing agricultural resources. It is shocking for me to know that beef’s role in vanishing agricultural resources is 3.5 times more than chicken. I also found out that vegetarian diet helps to reduce carbon emissions. 

The second thing that stuck in my mind is the "Large numbers" section in which the author points out that emotions about large numbers can impact on the real world. The author explained that if humans have feelings about the increasing numbers and impact of these numbers on climate, only then they would put an initiative to help the environment. 

I think that teachers play an essential role in building a connection between students and nature. Teachers can encourage students to take participate in communities of action. I encounter with some experience during my volunteer, in graphing representation lesson, a teacher provided a worksheet that students need to completer, which focuses on the carbon dioxide in everyday life. And use that data to graph. She also used to run a club in which each week students go outside their classroom and clean the surroundings near the school building, and they get some bonus reward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...