After reading Kimmer’s article, I realize that mathematical language serves as a tool for adapting cultural diversity in the classrooms with respect. By doing this, we will able to learn some new mathematical words. The Kimmers article reflects that there is a connection between languages and our lives. As her curiosity about leaning her ancestor’s language “Puhpowee”, it reminds me of my experience about gaining knowledge about “Urdu” from my grandparents who moved from Pakistan to India in 1947. The article also explains that cultural languages have some richness vocabulary that fascinates others to explore.
When I thought of using mathematical terminology in the classroom, I need to think about the learning objectives. At the beginning of the semester or the school year, I will let students use their cultural mathematical languages. I will also post the academic mathematical terminology or mathematic notation with English meaning on the walls of the classroom so that students will get familiar with these notations and words and will motivate them to use academic mathematical language. For example, α mean alpha, β is called beta, ε stands for “in” and so on. Near the end of the semester or school year, I will make sure that students will get familiar with the mathematical vocabulary.
No comments:
Post a Comment