Wednesday, 7 October 2020

Entrance Slip for Learning Mathematics through Birch Bark Biting

 


Source: http://www.isuma.tv/aboriginal-perspectives/rosella-carney-birch-bark-biting-photos

The article “Learning Mathematics through Birch Bark Biting: Affirming Indigenous Identity” by Borden inspires me to incorporate the body as a tool in learning mathematics. I felt so disappointed that I had no experience with this learning in my high school years and during my volunteer experience. As Birch Bark Biting is an indigenous activity which reflects indigenous culture and practices in the classroom, I believe that teachers should allow students to use and share their methods of learning in their community or culture. It will help students to actively engaged in the classroom while connecting with their culture as well. It will also motivate students to respect their culture and others too.  

           The idea of “Show Me Your Math.” program in the article will help the teacher to make connections with students. Also, the teacher will able to provide a safe environment to enhance collaborative learning. The quote “Let’s Learn Together! as a way of emphasising this focus on learning together” (Page 758) reminds me of my experience when I moved to Canada and took English classes to upgrade my English. In my class, the teacher told each student to represent their culture using artifact or presentations. I remember I felt so proud that my cultural identity is acknowledged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Symbolic World: Identity Transformation

  I create this poster to represent my identity from my childhood. When I was a kid, I was not aware of my identity. But as time passed, my ...